Cyber & IT
The Gilchrist Connell cyber team is uniquely positioned in this emerging market, including a proven ‘first response’ process in the event of a breach. Our team can provide assistance and advice on all aspects of cyber breach including:
- Policy coverage
- Loss mitigation
- Rectifying data breaches
- Developing new cyber liability products for the insurance market
The Gilchrist Connell cyber team has advised several large American insurers and various Lloyd’s syndicates on all aspects of cyber risk.
We offer a 24/7 cyber breach hotline and, in the event of a breach, our team will play a critical response role as the first port of call. We will act as the ‘breach coach’, making the initial investigations, and co-ordinating a team of third party service providers comprising cyber security experts and specialists in forensic accounting and reputation management – to minimise the spread and impact of the cyber security attack. We help the insured recover from the breach and mitigate further attacks.
Our cyber team’s strong background in general insurance enables it to provide its clients and their insured with a holistic service extending to:
- helping insured navigate compliance with the range of relevant legislation, including mandatory data breach reporting
- assisting insured in responding to breaches of privacy complaints made to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
- providing advice to insured on the collection and handling of ‘personal information’ in order to comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)
- the specialist area of defamation, relevant to claims which may potentially arise under cyber risks policy and can offer prompt and helpful advice regarding loss mitigation for potential defamation claims
Our specialist IT team has for many years now been providing coverage advice to insurers and acting in the defence of claims against:
- IT designers and manufacturers
- web and cloud hosting services
- designers, developers and manufacturers of advanced radar and communications solutions for civil and military applications
- software and systems designers in the banking, retail, government and medical industries
- manufacturers and suppliers of IT and telecommunications equipment
We have advised on claims arising from:
- financial loss suffered as a result of defects and deficiencies or failure to perform of products or services provided by IT professionals
- the infringement of intellectual property, violation of a person’s right of privacy, libel, slander or other forms of defamation
- the costs incurred to recall and regain possession of IT products
Contact us for further information on how our specialist teams can assist you.