Katherine has been advising Australian, US and London insurers across major commercial and SME lines of insurance for over 20 years. She has particular expertise in policy drafting, interpretation and advising global insurers participating in multi-national insurance programs. She acts as coverage counsel in cases involving financial collapses, infrastructure disputes and a variety of large commercial disputes.
Katherine also acts in the defence of claims against insureds and is a seasoned litigator, having been a partner predominantly of a large international firm before joining Gilchrist Connell.
Katherine’s areas of expertise include:
- Defending directors and officers in civil proceedings and before inquiries and commissions.
- Defending finance professionals including stockbrokers, accountants and financial planners.
- Defending construction professionals including D&C contractors, architects, builders, engineers, project managers, surveyors and PCAs.
- Defending other classes of professionals including property valuers, real estate agents and barristers.
- Advising insurers on policy coverage and acting as coverage counsel in claims against financial institutions, directors and officers, and professionals.
- Advising insurers on coverage and acting in the defence of information technology and intellectual property claims.
- Advising insurers in a wide range of product liability cases.
- Acting in medical negligence cases and representing insureds before coronial inquests.
Katherine has worked in and for the London market her whole career. She is fully versed in the Lloyd’s Claims Scheme, including the relevant protocols and reporting requirements. She is are aware of the triggers for Lloyd’s underwriters in managing claims on the subscription platform. She understand its objectives and motivators, which puts her in a unique position to be able to deal with and report to clients in an efficient and sophisticated manner.
Katherine has been recognised as a leading insurance lawyer by Doyles and Chambers & Partners and applauded by clients for her accurate and commercial advice, the relationships she builds with insureds and her early resolution of disputes. Chambers & Partners 2017 received the following client testimonials for Katherine:
“If I had any matters offshore I would not hesitate to seek out Katherine’s services where appropriate. I highly rate her work.”
“Katherine is an extremely experienced lawyer. She has provided accurate and extremely helpful advice and assistance on some of my very challenging and complex matters. She is solution-driven, and has the ability to see the big picture without overlooking the small details.”
Seminars and Presentations
- Australian Royal Commission into Financial Institutions, 2018
- The impact of cladding on the construction industry in Australia, 2018
- Underwriting Agencies Council of Australia, How combustible cladding is firing up regulators and the insurance market, 2018
- Impact of class actions on Side C in D&O Policies, 2017
- Insurance Contracts Act: Non-disclosure and remedies, 2017
- Blanket notifications and when a circumstance is a claim, 2017
- Reservation of rights in Australia, 2017
- Indirect causation in shareholder claims – HIH Insurance (in liq)  NSWSC 482, 2016
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group, D&O fundamentals, 2016