Justine has worked primarily in financial lines insurance for her professional career, both in house and in private practice in Australia and London. Justine specialises in claims against professionals including accountants, solicitors, engineers, stockbrokers, financial planners, real estate agents, insurance brokers and valuers. She also has significant experience and a keen interest in policy and coverage disputes and directors’ and officers’ liability.
Through working in house both at commercial and mutual insurers Justine has developed a keen understanding of what matters to insurance clients, particularly the importance of accurate reserving and early, effective resolution of claims. She enjoys the challenging nature of insurance work and understands the sensitive issues at play when a professional or organisation has its reputation at risk.
Justine’s insured clients are individuals, companies, partnerships, government bodies and incorporated associations (including sporting and not for profit organisations), whom she has represented and advised in the areas of:
- professional negligence;
- directors’ and officers’ liability;
- employment practices liability including allegations of bullying and harassment, discrimination and unfair dismissal;
- statutory liability: including with respect to investigations by regulatory bodies such as Worksafe, Comcare, ASIC and the Department of Commerce;
- general liability including personal injury, property damage and product liability; and
- risk management including advice on coverage, insurance and indemnity clauses and insurance risk management for events and day to day operations.
Articles and Presentations
Legalwise seminar – Developments in Directors and Officers Liability Insurance, 2018
The Australian Consumer Law – beyond misleading or deceptive conduct, 2018
Cladding, combustion and construction risks — the implications of deadly tower fires — (2017) 14(8) CL 110
Legalwise seminar – Considerations in insurance for directors and officers, 2017
Presentation to international insurers – Financial and professional lines in Australia. What’s the difference?, 2016
Recovery from insurers under the s 601AG of the Corporaitons Act – the importance of the insurance policy terms and conditions – Smart v AAI Ltd/ JKR Realty PtyLtd v AAI Ltd (2015) 12(6) CL 101
When Will Advocates’ Immunity Apply to Work Outside of Court? – Case Note; Donnellan v Woodland – (2013) 9(8) CL 109
Joinder of insurers, a balancing of the scales – The Owners – Strata Plan 62658 v Mestrez Pty Ltd (2012) 9(6/7) CL 88