Justine has leading expertise in financial lines insurance, having worked, both in house and in private practice in Australia and London. She specialises in claims against professionals including accountants, solicitors, engineers, stockbrokers, financial planners, real estate agents, insurance brokers and valuers. She also has significant experience in policy and coverage disputes.
A significant part of Justine’s practice covers investigations, inquiries and prosecutions, particularly in the area of occupational health and safety, where she has been involved in incident response, police and regulator investigation, prosecutions and subsequent appeals, including appeals to a single judge and the Court of Appeal.
Justine enjoys the challenging nature of insurance work and is adept at managing the sensitive issues at play where a professional or organisation has its reputation at risk.
Justine acts for insured clients in the areas of:
- professional negligence;
- directors’ and officers’/management liability;
- institutional abuse;
- employment practices liability including allegations of bullying and harassment, discrimination and unfair dismissal;
- statutory liability: including with respect to investigations by disciplinary and regulatory bodies such as Worksafe, Comcare, ASIC and the Department of Commerce;
- inquiries including Commissions of Inquiry and Royal Commissions;
- general liability including personal injury, property damage and product liability; and
- risk management including advice on coverage, insurance and indemnity clauses and insurance risk management for events and day to day operations.
Articles and Presentations
Legalwise seminar – Law for School Business and Finance Managers – Use of school facilities by others November 2019, September 2020
Presentation to insurers – Insurability of fines and penalties in Australia, 2018
Presentation to insurers – Fundamentals of D&O insurance, 2018
Legalwise seminar – Developments in Directors and Officers Liability Insurance, 2018
The Australian Consumer Law – beyond misleading or deceptive conduct, 2018
Cladding, combustion and construction risks — the implications of deadly tower fires — (2017) 14(8) CL 110
Legalwise seminar – Considerations in insurance for directors and officers, 2017
Presentation to international insurers – Financial and professional lines in Australia. What’s the difference?, 2016
Recovery from insurers under the s 601AG of the Corporations Act – the importance of the insurance policy terms and conditions – Smart v AAI Ltd/ JKR Realty PtyLtd v AAI Ltd (2015) 12(6) CL 101
When Will Advocates’ Immunity Apply to Work Outside of Court? – Case Note; Donnellan v Woodland – (2013) 9(8) CL 109
Joinder of insurers, a balancing of the scales – The Owners – Strata Plan 62658 v Mestrez Pty Ltd (2012) 9(6/7) CL 88