Personal Information Your “personal information” is any information or opinion about you that is capable of identifying you. Gilchrist Connell is an “organisation” for the purposes of the Privacy Act 1988 (“Act”) and we are bound by the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Act. All information received in connection to a client matter is subject to strict rules of confidentiality. The information will not be disclosed except in accordance with our professional obligations, as specifically authorised by our client, or as contemplated in this Policy and permitted by the Act.
The Information We Collect The type of information we may collect in connection with our business includes:
How we collect your personal information We collect your personal information in the following ways:
- Name, address, date of birth, occupation, and contact information;
- Information which assist in the conduct of our business, providing and marketing our services and meeting our legal obligations.
Use and Disclosure We will generally only use or disclose your personal information for the purpose for which we collect it and for related purposes that we consider are within your reasonable expectations. Otherwise, we will seek your consent prior to using or disclosing your personal information for another purpose, unless we are required or permitted by law to do so without seeking your permission. The purpose for which personal information is collected includes:
- Directly from you in person;
- From your agents or representatives;
- From public records, information brokers and third parties holding personal information which we require to provide our services and meet our legal obligations.
We may disclose personal information for the purpose it was collected (as above) and may also disclose personal information as follows:
- Facilitating the provision of legal services and accounting for the services we provide;
- To communicate with you;
- Fulfilling our legal requirements;
- Further developing our product and services;
- To manage and enhance our relationship with you including providing you with information which we believe may be of interest.
Security We take all reasonable steps to protect all information we hold, including your personal information. Our security measures include: password protected access, protecting our IT systems from unauthorised access, protection of our office premises from unauthorised access and secure physical storage of archived information. When information we hold is no longer needed we ensure it is effectively and securely destroyed. All persons within Gilchrist Connell with access to confidential information are subject to confidentiality obligations.
- Subject to our professional obligations, to any person where necessary or desirable in connection with our provision of legal services;
- As required by law;
- As permitted under the Australian Privacy Principles;
- On a confidential basis to our external service providers;
- With your consent.
Transfer Overseas We will not transfer your personal information to other parties outside of Australia unless you have expressly or impliedly consented.
Sensitive information We may collect ‘sensitive information.’ Sensitive information includes information about a person’s; medical history, race or ethnicity, political opinions, sexual orientation, religion, memberships and associations and criminal record. Sensitive information will only be used for the purpose for which it was provided or for a related purpose or with your consent or as required by law.
Information Quality If you are able to satisfy us that any personal information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up-to-date, we will amend our records accordingly.
Access to Your Information You may contact our Information Officer to request access to your personal information. We may advise you that we will not provide you with access to your personal information if we are legally permitted or required to deny your request.
Enquiries You may contact our Information Officer with any enquiries or complaints you have in relation to your personal information or a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles.
Information Officer T: +61 8 8215 7000, E: